- This event has passed.
Mary Queen of Scots Open Day
January 27 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm| £5
You’ve seen the film, now discover the true story.
The film tells one story… “Queen of France at 16 and widowed at 18, Mary Stuart defies pressure to remarry. Instead, she returns to her native Scotland to reclaim her rightful throne. But Scotland and England fall under the rule of the compelling Elizabeth I. Each young Queen beholds her sister in fear and fascination. Rivals in power and in love, and female regents in a masculine world, the two must decide how to play the game of marriage versus independence.”
But what is the Sheffield story of Mary? Flung into captivity by Elizabeth I, she spent 14 years under luxurious house arrest with Bess of Hardwick (played by Gemma Chan in the movie) and her 4th husband, the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury (an inscription on his tomb in Sheffield Cathedral denies he and Mary had an affair).
Join us at Sheffield Manor Lodge and walk in the footsteps of a captive queen.
Learn about the gossip, the intrigue, the escape attempts…
Meet the real Mary, her lord and lady gaolers and the people from her household.
- Dramatic performances from the life of Mary Queen of Scots in captivity (with the Manor Lodge players)
- History Tours and Family Trails of Sheffield Manor Lodge and the Turret House
- Dressing-up in Tudor costume
- Tudor hot spiced apple drink and gingered bread
- Sheffield Manor Lodge in History: presentation by Rebecca Andrews and Joe Allen
- Mary’s Time in Costume: Tudor costume demonstration with maker Sonia Preece
- The real Mary’s hair and make-up. Tudor beauty demonstration with Anne Derbyshire plus her Rotherham College students. Get be-wigged and made up as a Tudor!
Tours: 11:30am, 1pm and 2:30pm
£5 per adult; £4 for Friends of Sheffield Manor Lodge;
Children (under 16) free.
INCLUDES special event day activity and History Tour or Turret House Family Trail